Chicago Radio Ratings: The Mix takes a hit in the morning; clean slate for WBBM Newsradio
In the weeks following the misconduct charges against former morning personality Eric Ferguson, ratings plummeted on WTMX 101.9-FM, according to Nielsen Audio figures released Monday.
The morning listeners’ share of Hubbard Radio’s hot adult-contemporary station has fallen 22% since mid-September, from a tie for fifth to a tie for ninth. In women between 25 and 54 – a key demo that has long been owned by Ferguson and his partners – The Mix lost more than 25% of its morning share, dropping from fourth to seventh.
The last investigation period ran from September 16 to October 13.
Ferguson had not been on the air since late September, when former colleagues went public with complaints of abusive behavior towards women. Ferguson, who has denied the allegations through his attorneys, announced on Friday that he would not be returning to the station, ending his 25-year career with the Mix.
Former Ferguson teammates Nikki Chuminatto, Brian Paruch and Violeta Podrumedic remain to make the most of a tarnished brand and a hemorrhaging audience, “with long-term plans to be determined,” according to The Mix.
WBBM 780-AM / WCFS 105.9-FM, Audacy’s news combo and home of the Chicago Bears football broadcasts, again finished first overall.
WBBM Newsradio also swept through the four measured time periods, winning in the morning with Pat Cassidy, in the lunchtime with Cisco Cotto, in the afternoon with Keith Johnson and Lisa Fielding, and in the evenings with Bob Conway and Andy Dahn.
For the ninth consecutive month, Univision 105.1-FM’s Spanish-speaking regional Mexican WOJO was # 1 among listeners between the ages of 25 and 54. WOJO also finished first in the key adult population in the morning with Raúl Molinar, Carla Medrano and Andrés Maldonado, at noon with Rafael “El Primo Rafa” Bautista and in the afternoon with Sylvia del Valle.
Hispanic listeners make up 21.5% of Chicago’s radio market and black listeners make up 16.6% of the market, according to Nielsen.
Here are Chicago’s best radio stations from 6 a.m. to midnight Monday to Sunday, as measured by Nielsen Audio from September 16 to October 13, followed by format and average share of older listeners by 15 minutes. aged 6 and over (with the previous month’s share in brackets):
1. WBBM 780-AM / WCFS 105.9-FM all news, 6.7 (6.6)
2. WVAZ 102.7-FM R&B, 5.8 (6.3)
3. WBEZ 91.5-FM information speech on public radio, 4.9 (4.3)
4. WLIT 93.9-FM contemporary adult, 4.6 (4.8)
5. WOJO 105,1-FM Mexican regional, 4.5 (4.2)
6. WDRV 97.1-FM classic rock, 4.3 (4.1)
7. WXRT 93.1-FM adult album alternative, 4.0 (3.6)
8. WLS 94.7-FM classic hits, 3.8 (3.8)
9. (tie) WGN 720-AM topical speech, 3.5 (3.6); WTMX 101.9-FM contemporary hot adult, 3.5 (4.1)
11. WPPN 106.7-FM Contemporary adult Spanish, 2.9 (2.8)
12. WKSC 103.5-FM Top 40, 2.8 (2.7)
13. WRME 87.7-FM oldies soft rock, 2.7 (3.3)
14. (tie) RSM 670-AM discourse on sport, 2.5 (2.5); WBMX 104.3-FM classic hip-hop, 2.5 (2.7); WGCI 107.5-FM hip-hop, 2.5 (2.4)
17. (tie) WUSN 99.5-FM country, 2.4 (2.3); WLEY 107.9-FM Mexican regional, 2.4 (2.6)
19. (tie) WBBM 96.3-FM First 40, 2.3 (2.5); WFMT 98.7-FM classic, 2.3 (2.1)
21. (tie) WKQX 101.1-FM alternative rock, 2.0 (1.9); WMVP 1000-AM discourse on sport, 2.0 (1.9)
23. WSHE 100.3-FM contemporary adult, 1.8 (2.2)
24. WCHI 95.5-FM rock, 1.7 (1.7)
25. WPWX 92.3-FM hip-hop, 1.3 (1.2)
26. (tie) WLS 890-AM topical speech, 1.1 (1.7); WVIV 93.5-FM Contemporary Spanish, 1.1 (1.2); WZSR 105.5-FM hot adult contemporary, 1.1 (0.7)
29. WCKL 97.9-FM contemporary Christian music, 1.0 (1.2)
Here are Chicago Radio’s 10 best morning shows from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. Monday through Friday, as measured by Nielsen:
1. WBBM 780-AM / WCFS 105.9-FM Pat Cassidy
2. WBEZ 91.5-FM “Morning Edition”; “BBC Newshour”
3. WVAZ 102.7-FM Steve harvey
4. WOJO 105,1-FM Raul Molinar, Carla Medrano and Andrés Maldonado
5. WGN 720-AM Bob sirott
6. WXRT 93.1-FM Richard milne
7. (tie) WDRV 97.1-FM Brian Sherman and Steve Tingle; WLS 94.7-FM Dave Fogel and Kim Berk
9. (tie) WLIT 93.9-FM Mélissa Forman; WTMX 101.9-FM Eric Ferguson, Nikki Chuminatto, Brian Paruch and Violeta Podrumedic
Here are Chicago’s 10 best midday radio shows from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday, as measured by Nielsen:
1. WBBM 780-AM / WCFS 105.9-FM Cisco Cotto
2.WDRV 97.1-FM Bob stroud
3. WLIT 93.9-FM Robin rock
4. WOJO 105,1-FM Rafael “El Primo Rafa” Bautista
5. WVAZ 102.7-FM Bionce Foxx
6. (tie) WXRT 93.1-FM Lin Brehmer; WLS 94.7-FM Erin Carman
8. WGN 720-AM John Williams; Anna davlantes
9. WBEZ 91.5-FM “1A”; “Reset”; “Fresh air”
10. WRME 87,7-FM
Here are Chicago’s 10 best afternoon radio shows from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday, as measured by Nielsen:
1. WBBM 780-AM / WCFS 105.9-FM Keith Johnson and Lisa Fielding
2. WVAZ 102.7-FM Joe soto
3. WBEZ 91.5-FM “All things Considered”; “Marlet”
4. WOJO 105,1-FM Sylvie del Valle
5. WLIT 93.9-FM Mick lee
6.WDRV 97.1-FM Steve Seaver and Janda Lane
7.WKSC 103.5-FM Brady Broski
8. (tie) WPPN 106.7-FM Maria Esther “La Chula” Mendez and Poncho “La Bestia” Mercado; WTMX 101.9-FM Chris Petlak and Lisa Allen
10. WXRT 93.1-FM Marty lennartz
Here are the 10 best Chicago radio evening shows from 7 p.m. to midnight Monday through Friday, as measured by Nielsen:
1. WBBM 780-AM / WCFS 105.9-FM Bob Conway; Andy Dahn
2. WVAZ 102.7-FM Keith sweatshirt
3.WFMT 98.7-FM Kerry Frumkin
4. WBEZ 91.5-FM ” Marlet ” ; “The Daily”; “Fresh air”; “1A”; “BBC World Service”
5. WLIT 93.9-FM Dalila René
6. WTMX 101.9-FM Jordan “Dash” Orman-Weiss
7. WXRT 93.1-FM Ryan arnold
8. WLS 94.7-FM Child Kelly
9. WGCI 107.5-FM Zach Boog
10. WBMX 104.3-FM
(Copyright © 2021 The Nielsen Company.)